Harrison 1917 Fire Commemoration Planning Page
100 summers ago on July 21, 1917, Harrison suffered a severe blow when a fire broke out at the Grant Lumber Co. The Harrison Chamber of Commerce will memorialize the 100-year fire and the town's recovery.
Please send your thoughts to email@example.com; call/txt Estar Holmes, 208-582-2407. Thank-you.
Events / Acvitivy Ideas
- Logo / brand / artwork - Working with designer Eric P Kelly.
- Historical Fire Images Displayed Around Town. Images supplied by Crane Museum and Museum of North Idaho.
- The Cycle Haus
- Harrison Library (has room for 8 18x24" foam mounted photos above the computers)
- Corksie House
- Harrison Grange (Will need a couple of large 18x24" and a few smaller for a window display)
- The Company Store
- One Shot Charlies
- Sheppard Fruit Wines
- Tin Cup
- Sizzling Stomach - hot chili eating contest (Corskie House will assist committee at an event)
- Big Glass Jar of Red Hots on Counter -- guess how many / win prize (One Shot Charlies and ??)
- Souvenirs / Memorabilia? T shirts, (One Shot Charlies; Russ Wilbur - Haul Ass T-Shirt & trophies will have fire theme), souvenir booklet (Chamber), tote, glasses (OSC, HTP), other souvenirs (HTP).
- Retail stores highlight fire theme. Harrison Trading Post will have fire-themed souvenirs and specialty items.
- Photo taking mural (One Shots offered their space -- or in the Park?) (Provide Western Themed costumes.)
- Art display - students interpretation of the fire. Kootenai School
- Fire Engine exhibit / Harrison Fire Station Open House (their 30th Anniversary- St Maries Fire Protection District) - Oktoberfest Oct 7th
- Fire Demo by Saint Maries Fire Protection District - Memorial Day
- Local Firefighter Honoring Saint Maries Fire Protection District, City of Harrison, Chamber - Memorial Day
- Volunteer Firefighters present junior firefighters from St. Maries & Harrison and tell about the program. - (Josh Masterson? St Maries Fire Protection District) - Memorial Day
- Bucket brigade contest (July 4th, July 21st, or Old Time Picnic
- Other firefighter games. See "fireman's muster" on YouTube for fun ideas. i.e. https://youtu.be/-87CxkbFsvM (Our own volunteer firefighter Tim Kraack runs up the stairs at the space needle!)
- Play Crane Museum's oral histories in stores / sidewalk speaker (One Shot Charlie's)
- Historical Info
- (Corskie House will display Corskie family history)
- Lakeview Lodge will have historical information
- Fire story teller(s)
- Historical Tour / Presentation - Harrison Grange. Old Time Weekend. Robert Singletary
- Bonfire cookout July 21st
- Special fire drinks (One Shot Charlies) (Tin Cup - Fire & Ice Latte: Cinnamon and peppermint make this iced latte a spicy and cool summer favorite.)
Special Menu items
- Fire engine picture book display at Harrison library (Harrison Library)
- Is there a fire boat on the lake? (Yes, Worley has one and East side has one). Memorial Day?
- Custom Lager (Whitney will look into it- Wallace Brewing?
- Fire Themed items at Barn Dance
- Bucket of Fire gift basket (Lakeview Lodge)
- Handmade Fire Pit
- Framed historic photo (One Shot Charlie's)
Partners: Businesses, Grange, Library, Fire Dept, Crane Museum, Museum of North Idaho, Kootenai School Art Class, Local Homeschoolers, Old Time Picnic Committee
The Chamber will prepare publicity packets for media and sponsors. These will include information about the fire, about Harrison today, and if you tell us -- what your business is doing. Parts of the publicity package are posted online as they are ready. (Tim/HTP will help get TV stations engaged)